0 of 50 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
1. The word “it” in line 2 refers to
2. The word “housing” in line 3 is closest in meaning to
3. It can be inferred from the passage that there was interest in designing a new type of pen because the old ones
4. The word “expire” in line 8 is closest in meaning to
5. It can be inferred that the ballpoint pen first gained popularity among
6. Which of the following statements is true of the ball in a ballpoint pen?
7. The author mentions a “suction pump” in line 17 to indicate a function of the
8. The word “which” in line 19 refers to
9. What was the purpose of the small hole mentioned in line 20?
10. Until recently one limitation of ballpoint pens was
11. The passage focuses on the United States in the 1920’s primarily in terms of the
12. The word “knit” in line 5 is closest in meaning to
13. The word “accessible” in line 7 is closest in meaning to
14. According to the author, expanded communications led to a decrease in
15. The words “each other” in line 15 refer to
16. The word “mobility” in line 17 is closest in meaning to
17. According to the passage, which of the following modes of transportation was negatively affected by motor vehicles?
18. The passage suggests that a major advantage of the internal-combustion engine was its
19. The author identifies all of the following as contributors to the “social revolution” of the 1920’s EXCEPT
20. Where in the passage does the author give an example of a technological advance that led to a demand for improvement in another area?
21. What is the main topic of the passage?
22. The word “employed” in line 3 is closest in meaning to
23. The word “efficient” in line 10 is closest in meaning to
24. Which of the following is NOT mentioned as an advantage of glass-plate photographs?
25. Astronomers most probably use direct photography less frequently today than in the past because
26. What is image processing?
27. The word “undetectable” in line 23 is closest in meaning to
28. Why do computer-generated images use false colors?
29. Why does the author mention “x-ray emissions” in line 25?
30. Where in the passage does the author mention a disadvantage of photography?
31. What did the group of Impressionist artists do in 1874?
32. The word “it” in line 6 refers to
33. The word “readily” in line 7 is closest in meaning to
34. According to the passage, Impressionism is regarded historically as
35. In line 15 the word “It” refers to
36. Which of the following words does NOT refer to something that holds paint?
37. What contribution did chemists make to the Impressionist movement?
38. It can be inferred that Impressionist paintings differed from other nineteenth-century paintings in terms of which of the following?
39. Where in the passage does the author mention two new technologies available to artists in the nineteenth century?
40. What does the passage mainly discuss?
41. The word “stems” in line 4 is closest in meaning to
42. The approximate age of a tree can be determined by
43. The word “onset” in line 9 is closest in meaning to
44. The word “enables” in line 14 is closest in meaning to
45. The word “They” in line 15 refers to
46. According to the passage, the production of rings from year to year in any given tree is
47. The word “reflect” in line 19 is closest in meaning to
48. A narrow growth ring between two wide growth rings would probably indicate
49. Which of the following terms is defined in the passage?
50. The phrase “this pattern” in line 22 refers to