Focus: Completing structure problems involving adverb clauses, reduced adverb clauses, and related prepositional expressions. (Note: Two or three items do not focus on one of these structures. These items are marked in the answer key with an asterisk.)
Directions: Choose the one option (A), (B), (C), or (D) that correctly completes the sentences, and then mark the appropriate blank. The first one is done as an example.
0 of 18 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 18 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1) Small sailboats can easily capsize _____________ they are not handled carefully.
17) Owls can hunt in total darkness _____________their remarkably keen sense of smell.
2) _____________ they are tropical birds, parrots can live in temperate or even cold climates.
18) _____________ most bamboo blooms every year, there are some species that flower only two or three times a century
3) _____________added to a liquid, antifreeze lowers the freezing temperature of that liquid.
4) _____________advertising is so widespread in the United States, it has had an enormous effect on American life.
6) _____________towards shore, its shape is changed by its collision with the shallow sea bottom.
6) _____________are increasingly linked over long distances by electronic communications, but many of them still prefer face-to-face encounters.
7) _____________together in one place, they form a community.
8) _____________managed by an independent governor and board of directors, the Bank of Canada is owned by the Canadian government.
9) _____________pieces of rope are of different thickness, the weaver’s knot can be used to join them.
10) _____________, the seeds of the Kentucky coffee plant are poisonous.
11) Natural silk is still highly prized _____________ similar artificial fabrics.
12) Cattle ranches are found almost _____________ in Utah.
13) _____________through a prism, a beam of white light breaks into all the colors of the rainbow.
14) _____________most people think of freezing as a relatively modern method of food preservation, it is actually one of the oldest.
15) _____________ large bodies of water never freeze solid is that the sheet of ice on the surface protects the water below it from the cold air.
16) _____________ granted by the Patent Office, it becomes the inventor’s property and he or she can keep it, sell it, or license it to someone else.