Focus: Identifying and correcting errors with parallel structures. (Note: One or two items in this exercise do not focus on errors involving parallel structures. These are marked in the answer key with an asterisk.)
Directions: Decide which of the four underlined words or phrases-(A), (B), (C), or (D)-would not be considered correct, and write the letter of that expression in the blank. Then, in the line at the end of the sentence, write a correction for the underlined phrase. The first one is done as an example.
0 of 15 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 15 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1) Computers are often used to control, adjustment, and correct complex industrial operations.
2. The bellflower is a wildflower that grows in shady fields, in marshes, and mountain slopes.
3) Eggs may be boiled in the shell, scrambled, fried, and cooked in countless another ways.
4) Many places of history, scientific, cultural, or scenic importance have been designated national monuments.
5) R. Buckminster Fuller was a design, an architect, an inventor, and an engineer.
6) Modern motorcycles are lighter, faster, and specialized than motorcycles of 25 years
7) Many people who live near the ocean depend on it as a source of food, recreation, and to have economic opportunities.
8) Large commercial fishing vessels are equipped to clean, packaging, and freeze the fish that they catch at sea.
9) As a breed, golden retrievers are intelligent, loyally, and friendly dogs.
10) Mathematics can be considered a language, an art, a science, a tool, or playing a game.
11) Paper may contain vegetable, minerals, or man-made fibers.
12) According to Susan Sontag, our concepts of art, beauty, and nature has been changed by photography.
13) The economist Kenneth Boulding proposed a single social science that would unify economic, sociology, and political science.
14) The teeth front are used to bite food, the canines to tear it, and the molars to grind it.
8) An ant’s antennae provide it with a sense of hear, smell, touch, and taste.