Focus: Identifying a variety of word-choice errors. (Note: One or two items in this exercise do not
focus on word-choice errors. These are marked in the answer key with an asterisk.)
Directions: Decide which of the four underlined words or phrases-(A), (B), (C), or (D)-would
not be considered correct, and write the letter of the expression in the blank. Then, in the line at the end of the sentence, write the correction for the underlined phrase. The first one is done as an
0 of 16 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 16 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1) When a spacecraft is operating beyond the atmosphere, its fins and wings not longer serve to stabilize it.
2) The University of Chicago is unlike most other US. universities in that it has emphasized graduate student programs so much as undergraduate programs ever since it opened.
3) The mass production of paper bags cut costs so much that a bag soon became a routine part of near every purchase.
4) A person must be at least thirty years age in order to serve as a US. senator.
5) No other state receives as few rainfall as the state of Nevada.
6) Because of refraction, the water in a tank ever looks as deep as it actually is.
7) Molds grow on bread, fruit, paper and much other substances.
8) The lei, which is made of flowers, shells, and other materials, is presented to visitors as a symbolize of Hawaiian hospitality.
9) The botanists Katherine Hunter and Emily Fose spent many difficult months making research in the Rocky Mountains.
10) Early explorers in Utah named the cliffs they encountered “reefs” because they thought these cliffs looked alike coral formations.
11) Today oysters are grown and harvested much like any another crop.
12) Walter Hunt invented an enormous amount of devices, including the safety pin and a machine for making nails.
13) Connecticut, like the other New England states, are dotted with many little lakes.
14) The soonest parachutes were made of canvas, but later, silk and then nylon were used.
15) When vigorous exercise, muscles require a much greater amount of oxygen than when they are at rest.
16. One should never throw water on an alive electrical fire.