Time: 55 minutes
This section of the test measures your ability to comprehend written materials.
Directions: This section contains several passages, each followed by a number of questions. Read the passages and, for each question, choose the one best answer-(A), (B), (C), or (D)-based on what is stated in the passage or on what can be inferred from the passage. Then fill in the space on your answer sheet that matches the letter of the answer that you have selected.
What is the main topic of this passage?
(A) Birds that live in colonies
(B) Birds’mating habits
(C) The behavior of birds
(D) Territoriality in birds
The passage mainly concerns the territories of birds. You should fill in (D) on your answer sheet.
According to the passage, male birds defend their territory primarily against
(A) female birds
(B) birds of other species
(C) males of their own species
The passage states that “Male birds defend their territory chiefly against other males of the same species.” You should fill in (C) on your answer sheet.
As soon as you understand the directions, begin work on this section.
0 of 51 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 51 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
Pilih “ya” untuk mengkonversikan Score Toefl Reading dan dimasukkan ke dalam Sertifikat!
1. What is the primary purpose of this passage?
2. The word “fueled” in line 1 is closest in meaning to
3. The word “state” in line 3 is closest in meaning to
4. It can be inferred from the passage that the Sun
5. What will probably be the first stage of change as the Sun becomes a red giant?
6. When the Sun becomes a red giant, what will conditions be like on Earth?
7. As a white dwarf, the Sun will be
8. According to the passage, which of the following best describes the sequence of stages that the Sun will probably pass through?
9. The phrase “throw off” in line 17 is closest in meaning to
10. The word “there” in line 23 refers to
11. Which of the following best describes the tone of the passage?
12. Why does the author most likely mention George Washington in the first paragraph?
13. The word “feasibility” in line 6 is closest in meaning to
14. According to the passage, the Erie Canal connected the
15. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word “comparatively” in line 17?
16. The phrase “on-again-off-again” in line 20 could be replaced by which of the following with the least change in meaning?
17. The completion of the Erie Canal was financed by
18. The actual cost of building the Erie Canal was
19. The word “tolls” in line 26 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
20. Which of the following is NOT given in the fourth paragraph as an effect of the building of the Erie Canal?
21. What can be inferred about railroads in 1849 from the information in the last paragraph?
22. The word “warranted” in line 35 is closest in meaning to
23. At what point in the passage does the author focus on the beginning of construction of the Erie Canal?
24. Which of the following is the main topic of the passage?
25. The word “them” in line 4 refers to
26. The word “parched” in line 6 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
27, The word “plight” in line 8 is closest in meaning to
28. It can be inferred from the passage that the sounds produced by the trees
29, The word “fractured” in line 15 is closest in meaning to
30. Which of the following could be considered a cause of the trees’ distress signals?
31. In line 17, the phrase “pick up” could best be replaced by which of the following?
32. All of the following are mentioned as possible factors in drawing insects to weakened trees EXCEPT
33. It can be inferred that, at the time the passage was written, research concerning the distress signals of trees
34. Which of the following best describes the organization of the passage?
35. According to the passage, the concepts of analogy and homology are
36. The word “rigid” in line 4 is closest in meaning to
37. According to the information provided in the passage, which of the following would most probably be considered analogous?
38. According to the passage, one way in which homologous organs differ from analogous organs is that they
39. As used throughout the passage, the term “structures” most nearly means
40. The word “sense” in line 13 is closest in meaning to
41. Where in the passage does the author first focus his discussion on the concept of homology?
42. The author’s main purpose in writing this passage is to
43. According to the passage, Chaplin got the idea for the film Modern Times from
44. The word “abruptly” in line 10 is closest in meaning to
45. It can be inferred from the passage that two-thirds of the film Modern Times
46. Which of the following could best replace the phrase “losing his mind” in lines 19-20?
47. The word “This” in line 24 refers to which of the following?
48. According to the passage, the purpose of the scene involving the feeding machine is to show people’s
49. The word “utter” in line 25 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
50. The author would probably be LEAST likely to use which of the following words to describe the film Modern Times?