Focus: Choosing correctly between because of or because and similar expressions.
Directions: Underline the word that correctly completes the sentences below. The first one is done as an example.
0 of 12 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 12 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1) (______________) cats cannot see in complete darkness, their eyes are much more sensitive to light than humans’ eyes.
2) (______________) cheese is essentially a concentrated form of milk, it contains the same nutrients as milk.
3) (__________) its frightening appearance, the octopus is shy and completely harmless.
4) (______________) its acute sense of smell, the bloodhound is often used in tracking.
5) (___________) the female oriole is absent from the nest, the male oriole stands guard.
6) (______________) their light weight, aluminum alloys can be very strong.
7) (_____________) Adlai Stevenson was never elected president, he was one of the preeminent American politicians of the mid-twentieth century.
8) Snakebirds were not given their name because they eat snakes, but (______________) their long, slender necks resemble snakes.
9) In the sixteenth century, it was thought that a compass needle pointed north (____________) some mysterious influence of the stars.
10) (______________) it can occur in adults, chicken pox is classified as a disease of childhood.
11) Opinion polls are often used (____________) political campaigns to find out how voters feel about candidates and issues.
12) Geneticists often experiment with bacteria and viruses (_____________) those organisms reproduce so quickly.